Iowa Nutrient Research Center
The Iowa Nutrient Research Center was established by the Iowa Board of Regents in response to legislation passed by the Iowa Legislature in Spring 2013. The center, which received $1.5 million for 2013-2014 from the legislature, will pursue science-based approaches to areas that include evaluating the performance of current and emerging nutrient management practices, and providing recommendations on implementing the practices and developing new practices.
In February 2015, a presentation on soil nitrogen cycling and budget and on drainage and nitrate loss was given to the Iowa Senate Natural Resources Committee. John Lawrence, director of the Iowa Nutrient Research Center, and Iowa State University researchers Mattew Helmers and Michael Castellano provided the information to the committee. The materials presented are available below:
- Iowa Nutrient Research Center - FY16 Request and Highlights
- Presentation: Soil Nitrogen Cycling Budgeting (Castellano) and Drainage and Nitrate Loss (Helmers)
- Summary: Soil Nitrogen Cycling and Budgeting, Drainage and Nitrate Loss
- Reducing Nutrient Loss: Science Shows What Works - Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, SP435 – Sept 2014
The original legislation identified members of the Center’s advisory council.
- Iowa Secretary of Agriculture
- Administrative director Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship Division of Soil Conservation
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources
- Nutrient researcher, University of Northern Iowa
- Nutrient researcher, State Association of Private Colleges
- Iowa Institute of Hydraulic Research (IIHR) – Hydroscience and Engineering, University of Iowa
- Vice President, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
- Dean, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Iowa State University
The Dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences of Iowa State University shall appoint a director of the Iowa Nutrient Research Center. John Lawrence, Associate Dean and Director Agriculture and Natural Resources Extension and Outreach was appointed the director.
For additional information please contact
Director, Iowa Nutrient Research Center
132 Curtiss Hall
Ames, Iowa 50011-1050